The Appalachian State University Advisory Board for the Academy at Elkin shall consist of 10 members appointed by the Chancellor, whose purpose is to provide advice and guidance to the Chancellor regarding the operation of the Academy at Elkin. The Advisory Board has the following duties including:
- Monitor the operations of the Academy at Elkin and the distribution of moneys allocated for such operations.
- Recommend to the Chancellor necessary policy, program and administrative modifications.
- Evaluate biennially the performance of the Academy at Elkin Principal and recommend corresponding action to the Chancellor.
- Annual review evaluations of the Academy at Elkin's operation and research findings.
- Such other duties as may be assigned by the North Carolina General Assembly or the University of North Carolina Board of Governors' Subcommittee on Laboratory Schools, pursuant to N.C.G.S. Chapter 116, Article 29A.
Advisory Board Members
- Maranda Maxey, Office of Disability Resources, Chair
- Dr. Marie Huff, Dean, Beaver College of Health Sciences, Vice-Chair
- Sherry Berman, Community Representative
- Jeff Chesson, Board of Trustees, Appalachian State University
- Dr. Myra Cox, Superintendent, Elkin City Schools
- Dr. Bill Gummerson, Associate Professor, Leadership and Educational Studies
- Dr. Amy Milsom, Department Chair, Human Development and Psychological Counseling
- Dr. Ashley Pennell, Assistant Professor, Reading Education and Special Education
- Dr. Melba Spooner, Dean, Reich College of Education
- Troy Tuttle, University Communications
Mary Logan Yancey, Board Secretary
Administrative Support Specialist
Reich College of Education
Advisory Board Meetings
- Wednesday, Sept. 7, 2022*
- Tuesday, Dec. 6, 2022**
- Tuesday, Mar. 7, 2023**
- Tuesday, June 6, 2023*
Time: Meetings begin at 3 p.m.
Location: *at Elkin; **online